Sunday 15 July 2012

Quilt Diary - Week 1




My new felt quilt  (based on rock layers) has been in the planning (well in my mind at least) since I made my quilt for last year's Festival of Quilt show at the NEC (see my blog back in August 2011).  For this year's quilt I thought I'd try and blog my progress on the different stages of making the quilt - with about a month to finish before the deadline to send it to the NEC for this year's exhibition.  Nothing like cutting it fine!

So here's Week 1, which was all about laying out the fleece fibres and felting them.  I made 3 separate pieces of felt: the main design and 2 pieces for the borders.  Here are the photos of the dry fleece prior to felting.  And to give you an idea of the size, the main design piece started out at around 175 x 75cm (which shrank down to around 120 x 50cm after felting).

1 comment:

  1. Such a big project and will be a pretty quilt I'm sure. Color is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete