Thursday 8 April 2010

Afghanistan Inspiration 2010-2011


Well the year to date hasn't been all bad. Last autumn I got involved in a textile-related initiative to support women in Afghanistan. The idea was for artists across Europe to each choose a small embroidered square created by an Afghan stitcher and create a new textile piece with it (to a set size). These new artpieces from across Europe would then combine to be exhibited at European venues, and hopefully be sold with any money raised (also from the sale of the embroidered squares) going back to support the women in Afghanistan.


This sounded interesting (always up for a challenge), with the UK's theme being teapots/vessels. I chose an embroidery by a lady called Hatefa, perhaps (with hindsight) a bit ambitiously with its vivid orange and green colour scheme! I combined it with a Nuno-felted piece (with a landscape feel), incorporating extra hand embroidery and needle felting on top. Of course I missed the deadline and the piece didn't quite turned out as I'd hoped. Anyway, this year after a short exhibition of the UK entries at the Greenstede Gallery in East Grinstead in February, I was pleased to hear my piece had been picked to join the European touring exhibition throughout 2010-11. Starting at the Fashion Embroidery and Stitch Show at the NEC in March, then visiting Luxembourg, Germany, Italy and France. Do have a look at the one earth textiles link for more details. I'm just hoping the initiative will continue to run and I get another go at this!

1 comment:

  1. Love to see your works. Nice that what you've done have gone to charity and helped those less fortunated. Hope I can do so.

    ReplyDelete